SUP Journey: Let’s Discuss Waves and Seaside Launches
All this month, I’m working from residence which is Maui, Hawaii. (I do know, I do know, please don’t hate – I’m initially from right here so…) and my workplace view affords me a really picturesque panorama of the southeast aspect of the island, which is usually a relaxed bay.
However there’s been a south swell come up and that has introduced in waves of the dimensions and form one usually doesn’t see at this spot. They aren’t large. In reality, to the novice, they may look manageable.
However, that is NOT a spot you’d wish to paddle out of. Right here’s why:
1. The reef is shallow.
2. Due to the self-love, and different elements, the waves are coming in proper behind one another.
3. The wind can come up at any time, rapidly and with depth, making it tough to get again to shore.
I do know this from years of residing right here and finding out these circumstances and studying from my paddle pals who dwell right here full time. However, the common vacationer or novice SUP paddler who’s making their first go to to Maui and paddling out with a rental delicate prime board or their very own inflatable might not.
From my desk, I’ve seen some close to misses.
Listed below are the frequent errors these paddlers are making:
1. No leash and no pfd.
2. Paddling out at low tide.
3. Paddling out straight into the waves as a substitute of discovering the channel the place there isn’t a reef and consequently no incoming waves.
4. Standing on the reef.
5. Paddling out with an clearly under-inflated ISUP.
6. Attempting to catch the waves at a location the place that may very well be hazardous.
Seaside Launches Away from Residence
If you’re planning a visit and are going to take your inflatable paddle board, or should you determine to hire a board, listed below are some methods to make your paddling journey protected and extra pleasurable:
1. ALWAYS WEAR A LEASH. Should you hire, be certain the store offers you one and ensure it’s in good situation – no dry rot, no nicks or cuts. Identical for the leash string – the half that attaches to the board.
2. ALWAYS put on at the very least a waist belt pfd until you might be really browsing.
3. Ask the store or locals the place the very best locations to launch is. As handy or attractive because it is likely to be to go proper off the seashore in entrance of your resort rental, it may not be a good suggestion!
4. Ask those self same locals about when to go: excessive tide goes to be greatest round rocky reefs in most locations, however the locals can inform you for certain. Discover ways to learn tide tables. 5. In a spot like Hawaii, the reefs have breaks in them the place there aren’t any waves. These channels are straightforward to see and are good for paddling in and out safely. Don’t simply paddle straight out by way of the waves should you see a constantly calm spot.
6. Watch the waves and their habits earlier than you soar in.
7. Should you assume you wish to surf – go searching. Is anybody else browsing? If the reply isn’t any, then there’s often an excellent cause why.
8. Bear in mind, plenty of waves often is a sign that there’s some construction underneath the water. In shallow spots, that might make it straightforward to snag a fin, and a fall might imply harm.
9. At all times be certain your inflatable is pumped as much as the beneficial PSI.
10. Don’t stand on the reef! Coral reefs live organisms and once we stand on them, it causes main harm.
11. Take note of wind patterns. Don’t paddle out when the wind is blowing onerous, even when it appears to be like calm near shore.
12. Should you’ve by no means surfed earlier than, take a lesson.
13. RESPECT the ocean and the surroundings.
Should you get caught coming again into shore in waves that appear an excessive amount of to your ability stage:
- Sit down.
- Attempt to paddle in between the waves coming in.
- Slide your physique to the again of the board in order that waves will extra simply roll underneath and previous you.
- If it isn’t too shallow, get into “rodeo” place. Hold your legs over the aspect of the board. They are going to act as a “brake” and sluggish the board down. Grip you paddle in the course of the shaft and maintain it above your head. Loosen up and let the wave cross you by.
- As quickly as you might be in water with a sandy backside, the place you’ll be able to simply and confidently rise up and management your board, get off and exit the water. At all times hold management of your board.
Bear in mind: should you get in bother, wave your paddle forwards and backwards over your head and blow your whistle when you’ve got one connected to your PFD (and you must!)
Want expert advice on choosing an inflatable SUP board? Check out our Inflatable Paddle Board Costco Buying Guide 2021 or The Best Costco Paddle Board – Inflatable Paddle Board vs Solid