Your First Chattajack Race
Guessing that an entire host of first-time Chattajack racers are signed up for this yr’s 32-mile sojourn down the Tennessee River Gorge in October. SUP paddling is booming due to the pandemic and the race was cancelled final yr due to Covid. It will likely be much more thrilling than ever after we all unite in Chattanooga!
So, listed here are some suggestions to remember as you prepare.
- PREPARE!!! For those who haven’t began coaching, accomplish that NOW. Many of us make the error of beginning means too late in terms of increase the energy and endurance to finish the course and its required time cut-offs.
- Don’t Wing it. Get a plan and observe it. An interval/coronary heart fee coaching plan is palms down one of the simplest ways to be sure to are strong in terms of strolling down the ramp at *** Touchdown in Chattanooga and up the dock at Hales Bar on the end.
- Don’t be tempted to log massive mile coaching days. Too many paddlers obsess about with the ability to do the 32 miles (sure, it’s 32) particularly near race day. The top consequence: untimely burn out., accidents and fatigue on race day. INTERVALS. Do your interval work and you may be higher off.
- Get your vitamin sorted. Don’t wait till per week or two to determine what sort of hydration and meals you will use on race day. Begin experimenting with that now. Now could be the time to strive new manufacturers of gel, liquid vitamin, protein options and power snacks. Know what your physique goes to tolerate and do finest with.
- Get your gear sorted. Likewise, determine precisely how you’ll carry all of the water you will have; how you’ll deploy your gels, and the like. Apply and practice with the equipment you’ll use on the race day, so you know the way it would really feel, and the way it will work collectively. Nothing needs to be a shock when the race begins. Remember to have your coaching tools ready every time you’re practicing for the race!
Different issues to contemplate
Signal Up a Sherpa
It is extremely useful to have assist – or a “sherpa” as we name them – to get you to the beginning line, be sure to have the whole lot you want, and to be there on the end line.
Your sherpa can:
- Present ethical assist
- Assist you to load your gear post-race
- Be sure you hydrate and eat at after the race
- Serve an emergency perform must you need assistance through the race
- Drive you again residence – you is likely to be too drained and sore!
For those who don’t have relations who can be there for you, enlist somebody now. Get that lined up so that you gained’t have to fret about it on the final minute.
Don’t begin worrying about what the climate can be, how briskly the present will movement on race day and the way robust the wind can be. Chattajack is totally completely different from yr to yr. Be ready for warm, temperate and/or chilly, and moist climate. Assume a headwind and no present movement.
Focus in your coaching, as a result of that’s the solely factor that’s beneath your management!
For those who want a coaching plan, take a look at what Paddle Monster gives. Need assistance with vitamin? Coach Victoria may help!
Take a look at the PaddleMonster archives for extra Chattajack content material.
And keep tuned for extra Chatty-tips within the coming weeks!