6/19/2022 Sutton’s Bay, MI – This previous Sunday the Midwest Paddle League was again in motion for its 3rd race of the season, this time within the stunning wine nation that’s the better Traverse Metropolis space. I’ve waxed ecstatic on this race in earlier articles, however in case you realized how nice of race this was, you wouldn’t must even learn this text, You’d be emailing race director Keith Conway asking when the earliest you may enroll subsequent is. Let me break this down for you in easy numbers:
- Location, location, location – Arguably one of the vital stunning locations within the nation. Caribbean blue water, ignored by acres of vineyards and cherry orchards. Like California, however cheaper, much less individuals, and contemporary, unsalted water. The race location, the Winery Inn is a resort with rooms that overlook the bay, with a bar/ restaurant on website.
- A lot greater than a race – Friday night time social paddle, Saturday downwind, and Sunday races. 5k and 10k achieved at separate instances so you are able to do each as a part of the “badass” class. Youngsters/quick race following and a day that includes wooden fired pizza lunch, yoga, and clinics. Or simply chill out with a beer.
- One thing for everybody – OK so, I get it, not everybody within the household is obsessive about paddling. However in case you can’t discover one thing else to do within the space, you most likely lack a pulse. Along with water-based actions, there’s golf, wineries, breweries, and distilleries. There are miles upon miles of paved bike trails, unpaved mountain biking, and mountaineering trails. There are museums, exhibits, stay music, and the cutest little downtown you ever did see.
- No hamster wheel – This 12 months, all three of the races the place single laps. The partially protected bay was utilized permitting paddlers to see extra of the realm with out the NASCAR fashion go-fast turn-left mentality.
- Nice causes – this 12 months’s occasion wrote checks exceeding $1,500 to 4the22, Grand Traverse Land Conservancy, and The Leelanau Regional Land Conservancy
Race Director Keith Conway: “I really like placing on this race to indicate individuals this unbelievable space and introduce individuals to huge water paddling.”
This 12 months’s occasion was actually one for the report books, 71 entries, and unreal quick paddling, even by of us who did each races. The climate was a bit on the chilly aspect, and the water hasn’t fairly gotten as much as temp but. Fortunately winds have been tremendous low at 2-3mph. The 5k obtained began first, and the primary throughout the road was Alex Sandler who eschewed his traditional SUP for an OC1. Steve Hoogstraten was lower than 20 seconds behind on a surfski.
Jay James confirmed us what he’s able to and not using a 40-pound canine on board, and laid down a 33 minute time on a SUP. Karl Eugster and relative newcomer Marek Mroz rounded out the Males’s podium. For the primary time this season we obtained to see Kirsten Marina Lefeldt take high spot on the rostrum, however Julie Miller was proper on her tail with a lower than 3 second margin. Risa Starkopf completed together with her third podium in as many weeks.
Daniel Novak managed a 38 minute time on a inclined adopted by Harrison Withers and Tristan Patrona who have been each a methods behind. Amelia Hasenohrl competed on a surfski and Robert Downs rocked it out in a kayak.
Within the 10k race there was once more thrilling competitors within the girls’s division all three of the highest rivals completed with over a 5mph avg. Kattie Carpenter lead the sector with a 1:06, leaving two girls who had already paddled 5k to battle it out for twond and threerd. ultimately Kirsten Marina Lefeldt bested Julie Miller to finish the rostrum.
Nick Murray confirmed us what a nicely paddled surfski might do and completed the 10k in 45 minutes. Pieter Visser got here in 2nd. Marek Mroz took to an outrigger for his 2nd race of the day and set the tempo over collection common Christopher Devries. Doug Vojtko took 3rd in his first race aboard an OC1, and a couple ofnd race of the day.
Daniel Novak and Jay James didn’t look any worse for put on after their earlier 5k’s ending at a really fast 59:17 and 59:13 respectively. However it’s important to surprise in the event that they left just a little within the tank they might have chased down Javier Diaz and his record-setting 58:32 time.
The Youngsters race was enjoyable affair with Keira Conway taking high honors together with Olivia Osterhaven, Kendall Harvey, and Emma Osterhaven
The “badass” class featured paddlers who did each distances. Spectacular to notice Kirsten Lefeldt and Julie Miller set spectacular 10k instances AFTER finishing the 5k. Particular kudos to those who paddled two several types of craft, like Dan Novak who set a 38-minute inclined time adopted by a 59 minute 10k on a SUP. Rob Wilkinson did 10k in an OC1 and it was the primary time he had ever been in an outrigger.
|Paddler||5k/10k Craft||Mixed Time|
|Marek Mroz||SUP/ OC1||1:32:39|
|Kirsten Marina Lefeldt||SUP/SUP||1:45:27|
Full outcomes may be discovered right here.
And the remainder of the Midwest Paddle League Schedule is right here.
Particular thanks and recognition to Brett Starkopf and Shannon Carr for pictures. The occasion wouldn’t have been doable with out the assist of Suttons Bay Bikes, Traverse Metropolis Signal Store, Eager Technical Options, and Uplift Journey Retreats. Awards have been created and donated by Little Bay Boards.